Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Turtle Aloft

Here we are, waiting for our plane at Heathrow. Robin just discovered this bank of computers - WOOHOO. I wish they would let us post from the security queue.

The plane leaves in about 40 minutes, I think.

I'll have to look at Robin's calendar to piece together the happenings of the last few days. When we got back to Hungerford, the library was closed, so I didn't get to go online there again - but I was able to turn in the last book I had borrowed. It was called The Jane Austen Book Club. It was funny. Yesterday at the Oxfam bookstore in Reading I bought a copy of The Time Traveller's Wife. I'd never heard of it, but it's turned out to be very intriguing, and somebody here at the airport has already asked me how I like it, so I figure I'm probably the only one who's never heard of it.

Last night we were moored at Woolhampton. A boat came up the canal, being sailed solo by a lady in her mid-70s. She apparently lives on the narrowboat full time. She started out from Reading on this trip, having said she absolutely would not do the Kennet without crew. She started out with a crew - another woman - but her crew promptly came down with a killer cold and had to go home - so this lady is sailing up the canal, throwing herself on the mercy of other boaters when necessary, and doing very nicely. She is an inspiration to us all.

We actually arrived in Woolhampton the day before yesterday, and left the boat there yesterday while we took the train to Robin's old regiment's museum. It was a great day.

Oops - gotta fly - about to run out of coins.

No comments: